Rhubarb & Savoy Cabbage-Opposites on Color Wheel

How do you feel about rhubarb?  People either love it or hate it. There is no in-between.  The rhubarb in Joan’s garden returns every year.  The leaves are supposedly poison. To me the word rhubarb is comical.    A sure sign of Spring.  The lighting was not great at the grocery but sometimes one is moved to photograph anyway. Click the word rhubarb for more info, recipes and how to tend it. Rhubarb reminds me of my grandmother.  My sister made strawberry rhubarb preserves and we’d slather it on warm Zito’s bread when the kids and I would visit her in NYC.

How do you feel about rhubarb?

Complementary colors, waiting in Produce Section.

1. Bill

My mother used to make rhubarb pie. It tasted like cherry, if I closed my eyes.

April 15, 2010 at 7:20 am

2. Dorothy

Ah yes, rhubarb pie. My mother made it too. No combination with strawberries. We had a special spot in the garden for it as yes, it comes up every year. It was near the asparagus which comes up every spring too. Wish I had a rhubarb plant in one of my tiny gardens now.
    I like your photo Ruth with the complementary colors of red rhubarb and green cabbage. They show up well against the dark background.

April 15, 2010 at 8:22 am

3. Laura

I love rhubarb! But I like to eat it, not make it. I always think of Aunt Mary’s jam on Zito’s too

April 15, 2010 at 8:40 am

i never tried rhubarb – but it looks inviting

April 15, 2010 at 11:52 am

5. Joyce

The colors in this photo are awesome. Who knew a grocery could be so beautiful!

April 15, 2010 at 6:29 pm

6. Amy M

i love the texture of the crisp cabbage. yummy.

April 15, 2010 at 9:02 pm