Most People Don’t Like Them (2 images)

Squirrels!  They ransack bird feeders.  Had one in the fireplace the month of July a few years back. Steve had to take it down the street and he wore oven mitts and a parka in July, carrying a cage.  Neighbors must have gotten a look.  I am sure it ran right back to our house after he released it in the park.  Some call them rats with  bushy tails and they are from the order of rodentia.  Their beady eyes dart about.   But just look at where they live!  The colors in person were even more alive.  Fred Peterson, President of the Pittsburgh Poetry Society read a poem at Maker’s Mark about the delicacy at the family table- squirrel brains.  Not part of my cultural upbringing so totally unappetizing to me. When Laura moved to an apartment in college, one of the housemates had one as a pet.                                                                                      This was a tree worth driving around the block.  This is an unretouched photo taken on a glorious autumn afternoon. Closeup of nest- scroll down for second image

Maryland Avenue just below Walnut Street

Seems a strong wind would undo the squirrel nest.

A squirrel nest, closeup.

Wish I knew how high this branch is but taller than a third floor of a house.

1. Rob

Ruth,

We have one at the top of our tree in the front yard also. May not be as high as this one though. Interesting fact, squirrel’s “nests” are called dreys (pronounced ‘drays’).

November 12, 2010 at 5:20 am

2. Lara

Ruth-I do not like squirrels. But the tree is beautiful!!

November 12, 2010 at 5:40 am

3. Beth Piraino

My mother often photographed squirrels. She seemed fond of them, but never in the house and not when digging up and eating her crocus bulbs.

November 12, 2010 at 6:28 am

4. I can feel the crispness in the air, beautiful

November 12, 2010 at 6:38 am

5. Laura M

I’ve never seen a baby squirrel

November 12, 2010 at 7:25 am

Can’t say I don’t like squirrels being that I live in Squirrel Hill. I love watching them out the window.

November 12, 2010 at 7:59 am

7. Linda K.

I have been told that the leafy nests are summer nests and they make other arrangements for the winter – your attic or under the roof of your porch, is possible. I have seen Blue Jays tearing these nests apart in the winter – bugs and food residue may lure them. I help rehabilitate squirrels and the babies are really cute. They won’t thrive unless they are cuddled and stroked, so we do that. At some point they realize they are squirrels and we aren’t and they attack if you reach for them – an important transition from infant to adolescent. Maybe it applies to humans too.

November 12, 2010 at 10:03 am

8. erica

Wow! Beautiful photos and interesting comments!! Fun to see your beautiful tree again! XOXOX

November 13, 2010 at 7:57 am