Syon Abbey, Copper Hill, Virginia

Syon Abbey’s groundbreaking took place in 2002.You’re driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway and then you see it across a huge green field.  I didn’t realize it was built so recently.

I thought the downed fence in front added some depth to the image.

1. Kristin

Ruth, do you ever sleep? Blue Ridge Pkwy is gorgeous, quiet, deserted. Beautiful church!

November 30, 2010 at 6:32 am

2. laura

it looks like a model town

November 30, 2010 at 7:30 am

Beautiful picture. That is a beautiful drive. We’ve done it a few times.

November 30, 2010 at 9:31 am

I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway about 30 years ago. It’s a beautiful drive full of the most wonderful scenery! I love this picture!

November 30, 2010 at 12:59 pm

5. erica

Going to have to Google Syon Abbey…. why? when? who? what? ?????? !!!!!!! XOXOX

November 30, 2010 at 5:20 pm

6. Hootie

Looks like a story waiting to be written.

December 18, 2010 at 2:53 pm

7. Bernard FitzPatrick

Beautiful picture to be sure but too bad that the place is not what it seems – I was a member of this community for 23 years!

January 6, 2011 at 10:48 am

• Brian

Bernard Fitzpatrick,
      You were a member of the community for twenty-three years?

I would be interested in hearing more: including, if you would be so kind, please explain what you mean when you say, “Too bad the place is not what it seems.”

January 17, 2011 at 11:37 pm

• Paul Joseph

Yes Bernard,

There are those of us new to the site who need to hear your witness?

March 18, 2014 at 8:21 am

8. Peter Meijlaers

Dear,

Could you give me the exact map coordinates. I want to view it with google maps/earth but the address given Abbey Way 135 can be located with google and I am now searching for more than an hour and still can not find it.
    Peter
    Belgium, Europe

August 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm

• Hello. I just photographed it from the Blue Ridge Parkway while on a vacation and don’t have that detailed information.
      Sorry.