The Newspaper said “Little to no accumulation…” but-

A friend called and invited me for a slice of cherry pie for President’s Day. Hot tea.  I walked down the hill wrapped up in hats and scarves and boots.  A good thing-  I couldn’t believe it when I came out of her front door two  hours later and the snow had accumulated and was piling up.  That 60 degree weather on Saturday and now this? YIKES.  I trudged home, shoveled the walk and it’s blowing and snowing and really cold.  The snow was wet and heavy and a 2 hour delay has been called already for school.  How they will clear all the streets before the school buses head out is a puzzle to me.   (edit 5:30 AM.  All schools are CLOSED!  At least they didn’t wait to call it at 7 when everyone is already there.  My friend just called, teaches instrumental music  and gave me the news auf Deautsch singing Schnee Tag )

Not Spring Yet!

It isn’t that we aren’t ready for the crocus
and blossoms.
We got an unexpected snowstorm.
Shoveling again. And again.
Burrowing in the flannel sheets.
Florida friends, I am thinking of you!

Back to bed.

View from my friend's front porch as I started my walk home up the hill.

Heard from many friends and family who knew and loved Lori today.  And from friends who didn’t know her but were touched by her story and loving image with Fredi.  I tried to write back little notes of thank you to those who emailed or posted and I told her sister Sara about the overwhelming response but she can’t bear to look at it right now, understandably. A sad day.

1. Kay Comini

Just shoveled 9″ off my sidewalk; looked at the car and decided: nah…just stay home.

February 22, 2011 at 6:33 am

2. Gail radley

Cherry pie and a cup of tea – perfect way to acknowledge the day

February 22, 2011 at 6:36 am

3. Kristin

82 degrees here yesterday. Sunny, warm and beautiful. Enjoy hearing about all the snow but glad we live in Florida! Enjoy the ” Schnee Tag”!

February 22, 2011 at 6:45 am

• I cannot fathom 82 degrees! Sounds divine.
      Although I must say the Schnee tag was sehr schön!

February 22, 2011 at 2:18 pm

4. Laura

no. more. snow.

February 22, 2011 at 7:55 am

Ruthe – I want daffodil and tulip pictures – please!!

February 22, 2011 at 8:11 am

6. connie

I don’t remember the snowfalls being as frequent or so large – and I had to walk to school for grades 1st – 6th. Must be the global warming. Looks like a day to curl up with a cup of tea and a good book.

February 22, 2011 at 8:29 am

7. erica

Very touched by your post yesterday, Ruth. Couldn’t find words.
    Hard to find words about the snowstorm, either, but for different reasons!!!
    Glad you have a snowday!!! And right now the sun is out!!!!

February 22, 2011 at 10:21 am

A drizzle of rain in Indiana but turning much colder than the 70 degrees it was on Monday. Pretty blustery, too. Hopefully, spring is out there somewhere!

February 22, 2011 at 4:35 pm

9. D. B,

You can even make the snow inviting. A good setting for a novel…..

February 22, 2011 at 5:08 pm