Eljay’s Used Books is Moving from the South Side to Dormont

I asked why and the answer wasn’t surprising.       “Economics.”

After 14 years on Carson Street.  I bought a James Beard Cooking Lessons volume to read while I waited for a friend.  The fiction section was already boxed up and packed.  A lot of books to move.  A loss for the South Side scene for sure.

Dormont is fortunate. 3233 West Liberty Avenue will be their new digs.

I Love Bookstores

Losing two bookstores in the city.
Just this week.
Borders  with the new books-not open lomg
barely two years
and now Eljay’s Used Books on South Side,
Signs of the times.

1. We have recently lost two bookstores as well. So sad. Huge upscale shopping mall – Natick Collection – never even had a bookstore.

February 27, 2011 at 7:21 am

2. Laura

We just went to Borders and spent about $90 on cook books and greeting cards.

February 27, 2011 at 8:14 am

2 of the Borders stores are leaving Louisville because of “Economics”, too. We have 2 Half Price Bookstores here and it is always full of people. I think the Kindles and Nook Colors are slowly doing away with actual books. I sure hope they don’t become a thing of the past because I just enjoy holding one so much!

February 27, 2011 at 11:52 am

4. connie

Ditto Sally

February 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

5. Thanks for this info. Your sad news is my glad news—it’s about time a neat book store came to the South Hills. My good. Love, L.

February 27, 2011 at 1:01 pm

6. erica

Well, the Good News about Eljay’s is that the Store IS re-locating, not closing for good. How I hope that they make it in Dormont!
    I was drawn to Borders S’Liberty this week by: SALE / EVERYTHING 20-40% off. After a few minutes, I became aware that I literally had to leave! When I got back in my car, it came over me that shutting down a favorite Bookstore/Cafe is similiar to a “house – forclosure,” and at a gut level I was feeling what millions of American families have gone thru losing their homes, possessions, familiar intimate spaces and neighborhoods; with people(me)as well as financial insti-tutions(holding co-responsibility for the home-mortgage crisis) pawing impartially through their lives, diving for what gold we can salvage out of the terrible misfortune of one, six, a million families…..
    I must have had this experience for a reason ….. certainly to be more grateful myself!!!!, but probably other reasons as well ……
    I do not know a family who has been in or through foreclosure, but this small glimpse / taste of what it must be like brought it as “close to home” as I could bear it this week!!

February 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm

7. Kay Comini

The old Sough Side is almost gone. T & T Hardware, Swartz’s Market, El Jays, E House, the list goes on and on. The Works and the bars have edged everyone else out.

February 27, 2011 at 5:34 pm

8. Amy M

i can spend hours in a bookstore…how sad to see them go, especially such a great one in the south side!

February 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm

9. Cj

Great shot… sad thoughts.

March 12, 2011 at 10:35 am