Tulip Festival Dancers in Cambria City-Johnstown PA

One of the tulip ballerinas flashes the peace sign to the audience awaiting their performance.

Artists Laura Jean McLaughlin and David Ziller and a community of volunteers created the stunning Mosaic Tulips on the side of the Tulip Bottling Company, now an art gallery called Bottleworks.  You can read all about the creation of this colorful and inspiring work here.  Artist Bill Pfahl told me about the Festival and he had paintings inside the show at the Bottleworks Gallery. My colleague and friend M accompanied me on the adventure to Johnstown PA.  We each ate a $2 BBQ ham sandwich.

1. Kristin

Very cool building. I would like to see the mosaic in person. Looks like a fun time.

July 16, 2011 at 6:14 am

2. very cool building

July 16, 2011 at 8:26 am

3. That’s a riot of color.

July 16, 2011 at 9:31 am

4. Janice

Makes me want to visit to see for myself! Laura McLaughlin is one of my favorite artists – I actually have 3 of her ceramic pieces.

July 16, 2011 at 9:59 am

5. BBQ ham? Is that actually ham or pulled pork? Sorry, the photos are wonderful and vibrant and fun, but you know me and food. I gotta know!

July 16, 2011 at 10:08 am

• BBQ Ham is a “chipped ham”, shaved on a deli slicer and heated up with BBQ sauce on a regular hamburger bun. And for $2? What a deal.
      It is big in Western Pennsylvania area. I looked it up and this is the info that came up-northern W Virginia and eastern Ohio, too!

July 16, 2011 at 10:24 am

• Thanks, guess I could’ve just wiki’d it! I bet they eat it in Western Maryland too, I just don’t recall. We’ve been gone 12 years.

July 16, 2011 at 10:42 am

6. erica

July vibrant! Great ……Never been to Johnstown. This photo captures a different City from the one in the WQED Documentary on the flood. Of course, that was also in black and white…. and a devastating event!
    Back TO JULY VIBRANT AND HAPPY!!!!

July 16, 2011 at 10:21 am

7. erica

P.S. Love the tulip ballerina dresses …… darn! wish they were tulip-tutus :-) :-)

July 16, 2011 at 10:24 am

8. The dancer’s dresses do say “tulip”; and I like that she’s holding up 2 fingers, too. ;)

July 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm