Summer Salad Lunch- Spinach, Raspberries, Gorgonzola, Pine Nuts and Red Onion

What else can I say?  It was fresh and delicious and the berries, cheese and nuts were a wonderful combination.  Pine nuts are so pricey these days.

At the Italian store today pine nuts were $19.95 a pound!

We drove over to Labriola’s on Freeport Road and I bought some provisions for supper on the front porch for another friend. Romano chicken, tomato/fresh mozzarella salad, lettuce, Vietnamese Spring Rolls from Tram’s on Penn (Thanks Steve) with a peanut or chili sauce on the side, and Breadworks Rustic Italian bread and Sour Cherry Pie from Patty’s Farm Market for dessert.  That’s the stand where I bought a dozen or more pies when Mark and Erika got married 9 years ago and I had the rehearsal dinner in the backyard.

My friend R and I caught up over a refreshing lunch outside the Phipps Conservatory.  Lemonade to drink.

After lunch there was a Farmer’s Market on the front lawn and there were some incredibly pushy customers that surprised me.  I guess if there are only 8 boxes of blueberries, you have to get right in there and grab them or they are GONE! There were lovely organic beets and garlic scrapes and blackberries and tomatoes.  Basil and dill scented the air of one table as I waited my turn.  R bought some ripe peaches to make peach ice cream. I used to make a peach ice cream out of Joy of Cooking when I was married in ’74 as my SIL gave us a fancy ice cream maker ( it needed rock salt!) and was electric.  If you need some ice cream recipes here is a link I found.  I should go downstairs and retrieve the Joy of Cooking recipe.

1. Looks yummy! great photo :)

July 28, 2011 at 12:06 am

2. W. Keith McManus

Looks good. Just had a veggie concoction with pine nuts & pasta tonight.

July 28, 2011 at 12:27 am

3. Laura

Looks delicious !

July 28, 2011 at 1:29 am

4. Kristin

Now that looks delicious!

July 28, 2011 at 6:46 am

5. erica

Food. Beautiful Food!!!! Making icecream with rock salt and no electricity – the delight of spooning the ice cream off the dasher! Salad looks perfect and delicious!

July 28, 2011 at 7:05 am

6. Toni

Often make a similar salad with strawberries, gouda, and pecans. Melissa makes a good one (not sure what cheese she uses)! I like your combination – a nice twist!!
    It is pleasant sitting out and eating at Phiipps on a nice day — or The Frick (although more expensive).
    Dinner sounds fantastic!!!!! Yum!!

July 28, 2011 at 8:34 am

7. That’s the perfect salad.

July 28, 2011 at 8:58 am

Hesh just looked over my shoulder and said that’s pretty and he is right. Maybe for dinner tonight. . .

July 28, 2011 at 10:21 am

9. Your food looks delicious, and your day sounds lovely! What a fun one! :)

July 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm

10. MADALON AMENTA

I was married for a long time to an Italian and his female relatives found their most powerful creative outlets in preparing food. This favorite salad for me came from his Aunt Anna (Antenna to my kids): Fresh tomatoes, cucumber, green peppers, red onions cut into one inch square dimenions and dressed only with salt, garlic and olive oil (sufficient tartness coming from the tomatoes). I still make it often and think of her lovely garden and never failing nurturance as I eat it and wipe up the juices with fresh ciabatta.

July 28, 2011 at 3:20 pm

11. Cj Coleman

If i wasn’t starving before…. this is a great shot of a greater salad.

July 28, 2011 at 5:05 pm

12. Beautiful colours. :)

Yeah, those pesky pine nut cost an arm & a leg here too.

Worth it though.