Old School Metal Ice Cube Tray

Do you remember metal ice cube trays? There was a certain sound of the metal and the hinge. The ice clinking out into a tall glass. You could pinch your skin real easily. That’s what I remember.

This one’s on display at COSI(Center of Science and Industry) in Columbus OH where there is a  whole section called PROGRESS. You walk through the different decades of technological and electrical and societal developments.

The kids love to crank the old fashioned telephone and there is a juke box and pinball machine. They are housed in a soda fountain.  There’s a horse drawn buggy next to a VW bug.  You can look through an antique camera and use a switchboard to connect phone calls. There is a television studio and items from the Space Age.

It is hot and humid here in Pittsburgh.

I was looking for a photo that looked cool.   It looks like someone left the freezer open and everything melted.

1. Cj Coleman

Well you have to say that this icecube tray nad freezer were made for one another : ) I feel cooler already

July 30, 2011 at 12:14 am

2. Kristin

Well this photo is a stroll down memory lane. OK, I feel cooler but older too!

July 30, 2011 at 6:25 am

3. erica

Memory lane and today. I have a metal ice cube tray in my 35-40 year old fridge right now!!! freezer section is about this large and it is a project to defrost!

July 30, 2011 at 8:37 am

4. laura

I didn’t know they made metal ice cube trays

July 30, 2011 at 9:09 am

5. I don’t remember them, but I now have the urge to scour flea markets for some!

July 30, 2011 at 10:10 am

I remember those metal trays and our small freezer. My dad would put 2 ice cubes in my glass, my two brothers’ glasses and my mmom’s glass – then he would add about 10 cubes to his glass!! I always wondered why he got more than we did but I never questioned it! Just part of being 7 in 1956!

July 30, 2011 at 5:27 pm

7. The exhibit sounds very cool! (Pun intended.) ;) I had no idea metal ice trays were ever used – seems like a not-great idea (as the metal can stick to the skin), but I suppose plastic hasn’t always been around…

July 30, 2011 at 10:28 pm

8. manty

You can get stainless steel ice cube trays from onyxcontainers.com – they are fantastic!

September 2, 2011 at 2:49 am