Giant Spider in the Neighbors’ Garden

We were talking outside as I had just photographed an item (stay tuned) in my neighbors’ driveway  and as I was heading home. We were still chatting and  I started to photograph a little grasshopper sitting on top of one of their daisies (might be a different species but similar in appearance).

The conversation went like this-

J said- Look at the spider-

R- what spider?

J-the big spider-

R-where is it?

J-the big black and yellow spider—– right there under the flower

R I don’t see it.

R———- OH MY- I see it now -that spider is ENORMOUS-

Steve I might need a new glasses prescription.  How did I miss this giant spider? It is considered harmless to humans according to the information on this type of spider but I would not want it crawling on me. Click here for more info on the

Argiope aurantia   commonly known as the  Black and Yellow Garden Spider-

1. Laura O.

We always called them zipper spiders – because it looks like a big zipper going thru their webs. We welcome them every year in our garden.

September 22, 2011 at 1:42 am

2. connie

Just in time for Halloween.

September 22, 2011 at 6:54 am

3. Marlen

I don’t like spiders!

September 22, 2011 at 8:31 am

4. YIKES!!!!!!!!!

September 22, 2011 at 8:53 am

5. Eeeekkkkkk!

September 22, 2011 at 10:03 am

ALL spiders are BAD spiders!! Jonathan said there were spiders the size of his palm in Afghanistan!

September 22, 2011 at 11:33 am

7. nothing is worse than walking INTO a spider web! That feeling gives me the heebie jeebies.

September 22, 2011 at 11:47 am

8. Hootie

Love those spiders!I have many many pix of spiders I took with my camera-preying mantises and snakes.too.This is a GREAT photo.

September 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm

9. erica

Makes me remember “Charlotte!!” Love the photo – going to see if I can find some in my garden – love seeing a part of the web!

September 22, 2011 at 1:40 pm

10. Yikes – it looks scary! But your image looks wonderful – like IT could be the illustration in the book about spiders. :)

September 22, 2011 at 4:50 pm

• Stef, thanks for your thoughtful comments on the blog. There should be a prize as you are the TOP commenter on the blog when I go to the site stats.
      Still trying to get a reply that is indented but perhaps it is the theme I have or something.

September 23, 2011 at 4:08 am

• Aw, you’re very kind. I like to support people who do great work, and add positive energies to the blogosphere. :)

As for your reply comment – it is indented, but the indentation is VERY slight. It’s a function of this theme (that’s just how this one works). So you’re doing everything ‘right’ – this is just how this theme makes the replies look. :)

September 23, 2011 at 9:04 am

What an eerie web it weaves – great picture

September 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm