Andrew Tosses the Pizza Dough in the Air

He can’t remember how long it took him to learn to do this.  I was impressed with the height and ease in which he tossed the dough.  We had parent conferences until seven  PM so got to go out to lunch.  I headed down to the South Side to the bank and stopped in the Blue Grotto Pizza shop on the corner of 19th and Carson.  Thom B came by.  Told me, “…they really care about their food which is a good thing.” I waited for a slice of Pizza Margherita and you can see by Andrew’s hand that the slice was ENORMOUS!. It was also delicious. It was when I was leaving that I saw his tossing the dough and photographed his expertise.  I asked if it was okay to blog and he said, “Sure.”  Would have been good to have a tripod and cable remote but the soft capture still conveys the story of his skill.   A rhythmic series of the pizza dough tossing is an idea for a future post.  Could be in the People at Work series, too.

1. That is a mighty slice.

Did you have a beer to go with it too?
    You go girl!

I always find one before meeting parents livens things up a little. ;)

October 14, 2011 at 5:28 am

• Alas, no beer at lunch for me but it might have livened up the afternoon. Probably would have made me want to take an afternoon nap. Pizza was very tasty. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

October 14, 2011 at 6:42 am

2. that looks good. no good pizza in columbus

October 14, 2011 at 7:01 am

From the look of the finished product, his hard work and concentration were worth the effort. I love pizza.

October 14, 2011 at 7:40 am

4. I find it mesmerizing to watch a skilled pizza thrower at work. I must admit, however, to silently hoping that once, just once, he lose track of the thing and it end up on his head, a la Lucy Ricardo. Some wish to win the Lotto; I want to see pizza dough on a man’s head. I’d say the odds are about the same.

October 14, 2011 at 8:15 am

5. bernadette

Brad said he ran into you yesterday on Carson when he went to Mike and Tony’s for a gyro, this slice looks like stiff competition.

October 14, 2011 at 8:17 am

6. connie

I would like a slice of that for lunch!

October 14, 2011 at 8:57 am

7. I like the painting on the wall too: Mona Lisa with dog!

October 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

8. erica

Check out how relaxed his hands are on the toss! Love the Mona Lisa and her dog !!1

October 14, 2011 at 9:22 am

9. I want the Mona Lisa picture in the background!

October 14, 2011 at 11:10 am

10. Ahhh, I so wanted to be able to do that with my pizza dough… no such luck! I wonder how he learned??

October 14, 2011 at 6:55 pm

11. When I was a kid there was a pizza parlor my family used to frequent where the pizza man would throw the dough up in the air. I always watched with wonder – it was a pre-meal show.

Your slice looks wonderful!

October 14, 2011 at 8:49 pm

• I am still filled with wonder as to how it is possible. Glad it brought back some childhood memories for you, too. That slice was so tasty! Almost too big, though.

October 14, 2011 at 8:57 pm