Fifty Years Working at the Weiner Stand

Mr. Johnny Liakos has worked here at the Weiner Stand for MORE than fifty years.  Here is an article on him and the famous hot dog stand in downtown Roanaoke, Virginia. I was photographing him through the side glass window, reflection and all and he motioned for me to come on in and photograph him. Seriously.  And he stood there waiting for me, interrupting the flow of bun and dogs for a full minute.

1. Rob

Nothing like a good hot dog…a Chicago hot dog that is! Wonder if Johnny knows how to make one of those in Roanoke?

November 27, 2011 at 6:01 am

2. The man and his work ethic are a vanishing breed. Who, today, spends 20 years at one job, let alone 50?

November 27, 2011 at 10:09 am

Now that’s the look of a man who has satisfied many hungry people.

November 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

4. Gail Radley

A good hot dog always hits the spot

November 27, 2011 at 11:57 am

5. What a great story! Come on in now let’s do this right!

November 27, 2011 at 12:37 pm

6. Erica Wells

Enjoyed your entry, Ruth, and the local “article” on Mr. Johnny, too! Really impressed that Roanoke has a all-year Farmers’ Market – then realized they are in the SOUTH! Lucky “dogs”!!!! …. hohoho!!

November 27, 2011 at 5:37 pm

7. I love how kindly his eyes look at you:)

November 27, 2011 at 6:57 pm

8. What a guy! He seems like a “my bark is worse than my bite” kind of fellow; i.e., an old man who puts up a crusty front, but who is really a gentle soul. Great shots Ruth!

November 27, 2011 at 8:06 pm

• Thanks Stef. He invited me in and kind of challenged me in a way. I liked his feistiness. He was quite proud that he has worked there for 50 years. Stopped everything as I photographed him. Serendipitous moment.

November 29, 2011 at 12:12 am

9. You got some real awesome shots!!!!

November 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm