Hat Cleaning

When was the last time you took a hat to be cleaned?  Another shot from downtown Roanoke.

My son Mark spotted this signage across the street from the Weiner Stand.  Unfortunately there were cars parked in front of the establishment so couldn’t get the whole storefront.  Just made me wonder when the neon sign for Hat Cleaning was installed.  Thanks Mark for pointing this one out for the blog post.  I guess I could have included it in yesterday’s Downtown Roanoke slideshow but I think it can stand alone.

My father wore a hat.  Mark has one of his grandfather’s hats his home office.

I think men in hats look distinguished.  My cousin Jim likes hats.  He liked the post of Meyer the Hatter in NOLA.

Maybe the sign is for women’s hats to be cleaned as well.  I shouldn’t assume it’s for men’s hats.

1. A sign from long ago.. hats are fashionable now, though. Interesting that it’s a woman doing the alterations…

November 29, 2011 at 12:04 am

2. I was about to say what Smidge did. Hats are making a comeback. Hat cleaning? Not so sure.

November 29, 2011 at 12:41 am

Hesh wears a hat. Do they do baseball caps?

November 29, 2011 at 7:29 am

4. Love the signage, right down to the clock. I wonder, though, how they manage to clean hats? I have a form, of sorts, that I use to clean baseball caps but, I soon learned, that you’re better off just getting a new cap.

November 29, 2011 at 7:53 am

5. JB

I think it was my friend Colleen’s elderly aunt who used to say, “when in doubt, wear a hat.” I wish more women would wear hats, but you have to be confident to wear one, because it attracts a lot of attention!

November 29, 2011 at 10:16 am

6. I don’t know of a single man who has ever worn a hat. (Not my dad, nor my grandfathers, nor my great-grandfathers…) The only time I have seen a man in a hat is 1) from a 1950s magazine ad, or 2) on an episode of Mad Men. I do like the attire of the 1950s; very classy and distinguished, indeed (to borrow your term). :)

November 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm

7. thirdhandart

Love the vintage neon signs! They have to be worth a pretty penny.

November 30, 2011 at 9:41 am