Olga Melynchek Muraska’s Nut Horn Recipe Baked by her Daughter

My cell rang as I was in the check out at Giant Eagle. I was buying cheese and crackers and Clementines for the Photography Class reception that started in a little over an hour. Marianne said that she was baking her mother’s recipe for nut horns right then if I wanted to photograph them.  She had made the dough the night before and refrigerated it.

I looked at the time. It was 4:44.

I was in the South Side but figured I could drive to the West End and then make it to the North Side for the last class/reception.

Make the dough the night before and refrigerate

Confectioner's sugar!

When I got there she had three pans of the cookies in different stages, just like a cooking show.

I started shooting to tell the story of the making of her mother’s recipe.  I was amazed to find out that is confectioner’s sugar on the board where she rolls them out.  Not flour!

The recipe says Nut Crescents but Olga always called them Nut Horns.

Marianne gave me a half dozen in a ziploc bag. Delicious.  Remembering Christmases past.

Here is the recipe.

Remembering Olga link.

1. Love the story, the recipe and the photos! May have to try this one! :)

December 8, 2011 at 12:10 am

2. Kristin

A labor of love. I will definitely try them. Love the photos!

December 8, 2011 at 4:50 am

3. Tonette

Marianne, Thank you so very much for sharing. I think of your Mom often along with all the other Picnic ladies. Tonette

December 8, 2011 at 6:26 am

4. Gail

So glad you made the effort to get there. Your blog has stimulated many wonderful memories.

December 8, 2011 at 6:53 am

5. Toni

This is almost like a movie! I wish I had one of those nut horns now!!! They look fantastic!

December 8, 2011 at 7:04 am

6. I remember going to Aunt Olga’s for Christmas. great cookie recipe for Christmas

December 8, 2011 at 7:15 am

I can just about smell them. Thanks for the recipe.

December 8, 2011 at 7:25 am

8. Vincie

A lovely tribute to dear, sweet Olga Muraska.

December 8, 2011 at 8:36 am

9. Marlene

They look so good.

December 8, 2011 at 8:48 am

10. Rob

Will try these. Looks like a “grandma’s” recipe for sure. Wonder if the younger generation appreciates the love that goes into the time consuming efforts of baking an old fashion recip like this?

December 8, 2011 at 9:05 am

11. Such a wonderful post, Ruth! And those cookies got my attention when I saw the walnut paste filling. These heirloom recipes are the best and thanks for sharing this one.

December 8, 2011 at 9:33 am

12. That looks delicious! Wonderful post!

December 8, 2011 at 10:18 am

13. What a great series of photos! Great recipe too.

December 8, 2011 at 11:27 am

14. Erica Wells

If the theme of the week is “Seasonal,” please use this photo essay!!!! Wonderful! xoxoox

December 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm

15. thirdhandart

Love these photos. They remind me of the times, long ago, when my family used to get together in December and make Christmas candies. The Nut Crescents (or Nut Horns) look delicious!

December 8, 2011 at 12:18 pm

16. River Watcher

Thanks for the push I needed to start baking!

December 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm

17. Joyce

You have brought back yet another memory from my youth…and a wonderful taste from the past. The aunts and my grandma in McKeesport made these each Christmas. They were so delicious! I especially liked the photo with the remembrance candle. How very sweet.

December 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm

18. Marianne

What a beautiful gift you have given me today, by honoring my mom once again in your blog! At 5:30AM I emailed your link to my family members, colleagues and friends! I received an overwhelming number of responses (some even replied to you). It is one of the traditions I have kept when mom could not bake and now that she is gone it is one that I will continue in her honor. Thank you my friend, for being by my side!

December 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm

19. Mary Anne Dille

Ruth, Seriously enjoyed perfectly documented nut horn saga. Recipe and methodology similar, but not identical. I think my mother’s recipe was from early TV cooking show Kay’s Kitchen? Should have tasted one! Mary Anne

December 8, 2011 at 10:50 pm

20. Debbie

OMG, Marianne – I cannot think of a more awsome and touching way to honor your Mom than to carry on and share a little piece of her. I just know she’s so proud, she’s busting her buttons! Love you!
    Debbie

December 9, 2011 at 9:23 pm

21. Amy

Thank you for sharing this today Ruth. I appreciate the pictures and will be using them as a guide. :-)

December 10, 2011 at 4:53 pm

22. That is a cookie with a lot of love in it. Beautiful.

December 10, 2011 at 8:29 pm

23. fine series – like I would be there in the kitchen …

December 23, 2011 at 4:46 am

24. Ooh, do those look delicious!
    And how you present the recipe is delightful. Really clever idea, that actually works! Beautiful.
    And a happy New Year to you and yours —-

December 31, 2011 at 12:50 pm

25. I love the way you have blogged this, very aesthetic and looks tasty too!

January 1, 2012 at 7:50 am