Fountains at the Carnegie and a Sad Sign at Kiva Han Coffee Shop

I love to go to the Museum at night. It was just getting dark when I arrived and you can see the progression by the fountain photos I shot with the iPhone.

The Carnegie Museum of Art has free admission on Thursday nights for February and March. When I entered,the gift shop was still open so I bought a book for school.  I had received an email that photographer Dawoud Bey  would lecture (free) and show his work Thursday night. I am so glad I went to hear him and look forward to seeing his show- I was sorry I didn’t get to meet him but he was mobbed by people getting him to sign his book. I would have told him how I’ve photographed my students but can’t show them outside the school.  His portraits were excellent!

Silver Eye Center for Photography has an exhibition –

Class Pictures: Photographs by Dawoud Bey until March 10th.

The Fountains When I Arrived

The Fountains When I Left

After fifteen years.....

Kiva Han is closed now.  Forever.  Here is the article telling what happened :-(  A franchise is coming in, The Bagel Factory.  Bummer.

1. Always sorry to see a business go under.

February 24, 2012 at 1:32 am

2. ChgoJohn

I’m surprised to see civic fountains in operation this time of year. That’s just not going to happen in these parts. :) Kiva’s closing make me realize that I should make a point of going to my old coffee shop more frequently. I’d hate to find them shuttered one day.

February 24, 2012 at 1:58 am

3. Love the series of photos. Thanks for the heads up about museum free on Thursdays. Will surely visit in March. Thanks for sharing.

February 24, 2012 at 5:48 am

4. I live small coffee shops. Sad day

February 24, 2012 at 7:44 am

5. I hope you found some inspiration at your museum gallery showing! So sorry to hear about Kiva.. we have a few mom and pop places left but they sure have to keep “reinventing” themselves to stay in the game. I try to support them as much as I can so they stay in business!

February 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm

6. Aww, sorry your cafe closed. What a sign! “Just plain done…”! Oh my.

February 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

7. I love fountains, especially intriguing ones like the ones you captured.

Sad about the local business. I read the article you linked to; they seem like they were a good deal. :(

February 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm

8. Oh I hate to see institutions I love close. We just lost our favorite pizza place, the owner died and his kids are too busy to carry it on. Hate to see a good one go.

February 25, 2012 at 11:45 am

9. Toni

Grandkids were just running around those fountains the other day!

March 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm