100 Years Ago Today

Marian Van Sickle Hendricks

Born Durand Illinois

September 3, 1912

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The one room school house photo with my mother as the teacher (in the back row left) was photographed September 13, 1930.

Written on the back of the photo –  Barbara Sweet, Pearl Wallace, Jesse Shultz, Ellis Greene, Truman Sweet.

Front row, l to r, Glenn Greene, Laurence Judd, Edward Bratt, Truman Clark, Phyllis Sweet, Mildred Judd.

In the photos with her are her brothers John Rowley Van Sickle (1910) and Robert Eugene Van Sickle (1914)  Her parents Judd Dewitt Van Sickle and Charlotte Rowley Van Sickle were married in 1908.

The doll, Maybelle is in my living room.

She married Roy Joseph Hendricks August 28, 1939.

I am the baby in the photograph with the 1952 Dodge Wayfarer and my sister Mary and brother David.

My mother passed September 7, 2000.

1. Thank you for sharing this, I loved to watch the photos and relive the history.

September 3, 2012 at 1:16 am

• Thank you for stopping by and looking at the photos today.

Ruth E Hendricks

September 3, 2012 at 1:21 am

2. Absolutely gorgeous pictures and memory. I love the old black and white, so much more drama…:)

September 3, 2012 at 5:45 am

3. Toni

A life well lived. Precious memories! Beautiful!

September 3, 2012 at 6:29 am

I love that you preserve those wonderful memories. In your heart she is still alive.

September 3, 2012 at 6:35 am

5. Happy birthday Gramma!
    I love seeing the old photographs

September 3, 2012 at 7:31 am

6. Gail

Ruthie my heart is full of wonderful memories of your Mother. I am thankful I grew up in your house as well as in mine. She was special indeed.

September 3, 2012 at 7:58 am

7. Remembering ‘Moms’ is always a good thing…

September 3, 2012 at 8:12 am

8. Ellen

Thanks for sharing your precious memories; how lucky you are to have these photos. It reaffirms the importance of the work you do as a photographer…creating beautiful memories for others.

September 3, 2012 at 8:34 am

9. Vincie

A lovely tribute to a lovely woman. She would be pleased.

September 3, 2012 at 8:49 am

10. Those photos are fantastic; they tell the stories of so many lives. What you do (i.e., capturing the images of other people, places, and times) is such a gift.

September 3, 2012 at 9:01 am

11. What a loving tribute to your Mom on what would have been her 100th birthday, Ruth. In a very real sense, though, you celebrate her life with every photo of your family that you share with us. She’s very pleased, no doubt abut it.

September 3, 2012 at 10:28 am

12. Thanks for sharing your precious memories with me too, Ruth. I loved looking through your family photos.

September 3, 2012 at 11:37 am

I can’t look at pictures of your mom and dad without thinking of meeting them both. I absolutely loved seeing all the black and white pictures of your family. I need to take a day soon and go through all the old black and white photos my mom left my brothers and me. Anyway, I KNOW your mom and dad and your brother up in Heaven are all looking down as they celebrate your mom’s 100th birthday!! Yeah!

September 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm

14. Erica Wells

Ruth – a wonderful tribute and memories! The second photo did not come thru on my computer, but I love #1 with the doll you still have! 1912 – a good year!!!!

September 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm

15. Nice black and white photos. Great memories. Thanks for sharing.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

September 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm

16. Hi! I have a Van Sickle family site at Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/VanSickleFamilyTree) where I research and share items on the many Van Sickle relatives out there. I’ve recently started looking up your family line and found two newspaper clippings that I’d like to share with you. I found a letter that your mother wrote to Santa and was published in the newspaper in 1922. Her brother, Robert, also wrote a letter to Santa. I also have your parent’s marriage announcement from 1939. Please email me or contact me through the Facebook website above, and I’ll be happy to share these with you.

Jeannie