My Maps App Took Me Here to Cross the Mon?

(I think I read somewhere-  don’t use alliteration?  Mmmmmmmmm.)

How did I end up here, looking to cross the Mon?

I couldn’t believe it when I landed right in front of this sign. Bridge Closed.  It was just getting dark.

Turns out this bridge to Donora has been closed since 2009!!! The way you have to go now is a four mile addition to the trip.

The Monongahela River winds all around the place.  I’d crossed it at Homestead at the beginning of my journey.

Then I found out later this bridge is slated to be demolished.

With the help of my son’s MIL, Marlene, on the phone in Hardy, Virginia,  I found the Monessen Bridge and wound around  and up and over  to Donora.

You can’t always trust your Maps App.  At least the sign didn’t say BRIDGE OUT!    It was one of three routes.  Better try a different one next time. I read about the major supports having deteriorated.  Maybe the maps app just wanted to show me it for a photo op?

Took this right out of the passenger window

Took this right out of the passenger window

I am so impressed with your roaming skills.

January 27, 2013 at 11:24 pm

2. My daughter ended up on the new airport runway following her iPhone.. they’d closed the road for new construction.. but she trusted the iphone and just kept driving.. hahaha.. Glad you turned around:)xx

January 28, 2013 at 12:36 am

3. we don’t have a maps app yet rutheh, but we know about all the kerfuffles!

January 28, 2013 at 2:45 am

4. OMG….my worst nightmare. I’m skittish driving in unknown places. Thank god for your MIL.

January 28, 2013 at 10:32 am

5. I love my AT & T Navigation app- it always gets me there -eventually- glad you made it Ruth!

January 28, 2013 at 12:14 pm

6. Joyce

Pittsburgh…so many bridges and just so much time.

January 28, 2013 at 5:53 pm

7. Marlene

Glad to help.

January 29, 2013 at 6:00 am

8. Although I’ve heard of others having similar problems with the maps apps, I’ve yet to have a problem myself. Maybe it’s only a matter of time. Certainly glad the only result to their error was a little inconvenience and nothing worse for you,

January 29, 2013 at 7:50 am

9. Oops! Thank God for family and friends. They help us find our path.

January 30, 2013 at 5:51 pm

10. Oops. At least you didn’t drive into the river!

February 2, 2013 at 9:02 am