Vampire’s Assistant at Midway Theatre, Forest Hills, Queens

A theatre lit up at night attracts my eye. (Is it theater or theatre? This sign ends in tre) I see theaters transformed and repurposed all the time so want to preserve the genre before they all disappear.

I shot the Midway Theatre  when I visited my sister in NYC and we went out to Queens on the subway to meet friend Matt and eat at Just Like Mother’s Restaurant. You can read a blog about the mostly Eastern European fare, see some Borscht-  if you click on the name.

I took this about three years ago (11/2009) but came across it when I was looking for a response to a weekly challenge and since theaters are a vanishing breed, I like to photograph them, read what’s playing.  Thought this was an interesting selection.  Always like to work on my night photography and think about how I would change the settings next time.

Midway Theater Queens

I love the contrast between dark and light.

February 5, 2013 at 7:09 am

2. Yvo

Thanks for the shout out! Hope you liked Just Like Mother’s, too – and my local theater (I go there quite often).
    Cheers!

February 5, 2013 at 7:35 am

3. Yvo

Cheers!

February 5, 2013 at 7:36 am

I see that United Artists is mentioned underneath. We used to have a great one in Louisville on 4th Street where there were about 6 theaters and they were all different, and in the ’60’s, we used to dress up to go see a movie and it was always a wonderful time. I especially remember seeing “The Sound of Music”, and I wanted to be Julie Andrews but couldn’t sing!! Oh, well! Yes, I, too, love the lighting in this photo today!

February 5, 2013 at 8:13 am

5. Great photo, Ruth. As a boy, Mom would take us to a movie occasionally on a Saturday night. We’d walk to the theater and even though it was in the middle of a shopping area and all of its lights, that marquee stood out as if by itself, just as your photo shows. :)

February 5, 2013 at 8:32 am

6. J’aime la lumière qui perce l’obscurité. C’est comme l’espoir qui pricure la joie et le calme au coeur.

February 6, 2013 at 4:54 am

7. This has a very NYC 1980s feel to it.

February 7, 2013 at 9:44 am

8. Love this! It captures the eye for certain..

February 11, 2013 at 6:51 pm

• Thanks Kathyn. Hope you are doing well.

February 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm