Get in on Knit the Bridge Project NOW! Deadline is June 1st.

My friend Ellen sent me an email about the Knit the Bridge project.  You know how we Pittsburghers feel about our  bridges.

The Knit the Bridge project is a YARN BOMB thing planned for the Andy Warhol Bridge and is an outreach project for Fiberart International 2013   Knitting Communities together one bridge at a time

We even got together with another friend and knit a bit one evening.  Well, not much. We were catching up on one another’s  lives now that we don’t teach in the same school anymore.  I was reluctant to commit to knit for the project as I had so many projects started.   I thought I would knit one 17×17 inch square to help out.  It has to be in acrylic yarn and bright colors are desired.  I even went to the Red White and Blue Secondhand shop looking for donated yarn to purchase.  No luck.  The knit or crochet pieces/panels are due June first.  There are directions and suggestions for the knit and/or crochet panels at the Knit the Bridge  (wordpress blog) and all kinds of information if you want to consider participating.  You can mail me your knit pieces and I will turn them in at a drop off point.  Of course I plan to photograph the bridge when it is KNIT!

Now I have signed up to knit an entire panel.   I’m just starting.  It will be 72″ x 34″.   Oh my.   They need almost 600 panels!

What have I done? I bought some yarn and started my granddaughter Anna (9) on a square 17×17.  Then Maura (4) wanted to sit on my lap and learn how to knit so I started her off and amazingly she seemed to “get it” right away.  Both granddaughters are left handed so I didn’t know how to do it any differently from how I already knit.

Just got in from visiting the family in Ohio this weekend and so took a quick pic of the bag of yarn to knit in the foyer after I unpacked the car. I put the phone camera down into the bag of yarn and the hall light on the desk illuminated it through the white plastic bag.

Knitting Yarn

Some crazy colors that should show up nicely.

I like to do plain knitting, back and forth, back and forth, watch it grow.

It calms me, sucks out my anxiety.  I am going to be very peaceful and relaxed when it ‘s complete

with all that knitting required!

Beautiful colors. I wish I could knit.

April 15, 2013 at 8:47 am

2. Gail

Love that Anna and Maura want to knit. Happy stitching

April 15, 2013 at 9:05 am

3. Connie

My thoughts mirror both Sue and Gail”s: gorgeous colors ! You have 5 weeks and I’m sure the finished product will be lovely.

April 15, 2013 at 9:35 am

4. Good luck, Ruth. I look forward to seeing your piece and the finished project. That should be something!

April 15, 2013 at 10:57 am

5. Coleen Rush

You are all welcome to bring your knitting to 3G Gallery every Wednesday morning for Knit the Bridge. We can knit/crochet and chat and grab a drink from Crazy Mocha down the hall. We are also a drop off for finished panels and acrylic yarn donations.

April 15, 2013 at 11:28 am

What a cool project and Ruth, I have no doubt that you will find the time to finish your panel in plenty of time, although you always did work well under pressure! Yes, I, too, will look forward to seeing the completed project!

April 15, 2013 at 11:32 am

7. Love the colours, Ruth. Can’t wait to see the completed project. I’ve knit jumpers for African “fish n chip babies” but don’t think l’ll get involved with this one.

April 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm

8. Looking forward to see some resaults/photos, specially of the bridge ! Great idea ! We recently had one yarn-bombing workshop with kids, we dressed-up some trees in our park (in Zagreb). But, to knit the bridge over, that will be something !

April 16, 2013 at 11:31 am

9. The colors are great – perfect for this type of a project. I also find the repetitive nature of knitting (and crochet) to be soothing. Get those kids cracking on your project, and I’m confident they will have it done for you in no time! :)

April 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm