Where the Wild Boar Roam

Erika and I went to order lunch at Hill’s Market in downtown Columbus on Sunday.

We were at the Deli Counter and I saw the Wild Boar Salami packages.

Printed on the labels it  said Made From Free Roaming Wild Boar

so I asked the man making the sandwiches where the Wild Boar roamed free before they were made into salami.

He had no idea.                 I figured it wasn’t Columbus, local.

I picked up the package and read the fine print but no location mentioned.

It’s mentioned on the Creminelli website though-    TEXAS!

Then I looked it up on the internet and it says there are “wild pigs in FORTY FIVE states” (USA)

I remembered hearing Wild Boar in the Grafenwoehr trash in Germany, scraping a jar or a can along the concrete walk in the middle of the night.  And going to the Wild Boar Park in Germany, seeing baby wild boar.  Ate a plate of Wild Boar meat at a Boar Fest, remember his snarly face on the spit. Ugh.

Anyway the packages in the deli case got me wondering about Wild Boar and where they roamed free in America.

Have you seen any wild boar lately?

wild boar salami

1. Hi, Ruth. Texas is full of the things. They are a pain for farmers. My kids shoot them on the ranch in Freer. JC’s father cooks the meat and uses it like beef. We eat it grilled. It’s actually very good. I doubt very much that you could discern the “wild boar” in salami. Chuckle… It’s hardly exotic in my neighborhood. :;)

February 26, 2014 at 1:39 am

• Thanks George for the information on Texan boars. Did I mention it was 15.99 a pound and you can get it for FREE? (well, you have to make it into salami)
      Thanks for your comment today

February 26, 2014 at 11:10 am

2. I’d no idea that 45 states had wild boar running around. I wonder if they’re all descendants of farm animals that escaped long ago. I’ve not seen any around here but, then again, I haven’t been looking for them. ;)

February 26, 2014 at 1:49 am

• Well if you meet up with one, don’t corner it. I hear they can act quite nasty! Not sure how the salami would taste.

February 26, 2014 at 11:14 am

3. Sandra Robinson

Dear Ruth.
    Here in Provence and particularly Seillans the woods are full of boar, they usually come out at night with the whole family , and we have a stream in our garden and the gardener says he sees their hoof prints there.. I have only seen one so far but ten years ago I actually was here and while sitting outside my hotel . A man looking typically French with a baguette under his arm on a bike with a beret, to
    My surprise said hello in English.. It turned out he was Irish and a painter and obsessed with wild boars so I bought a huge painting of one which used to hang in the hallway just off the kitchen.. He asked me where I was from and when I said Pittsburgh he told me he had a lesbian sister living there… Do that’s my boar story but if I see one during the day I will send you a picture.. And by the way a wild boar party BBQ was popular in HawAii when we lived there in 1961!

February 26, 2014 at 3:18 am

• Thanks for the terrific story today Sandra. That is a good one. Be sure to email me a photo of the picture when you get a chance and we’ll show it on the blog.
      Love hearing about the hoof prints of wild boar in the garden.
      Hope you are well and fine.
      Love
      Ruth

February 26, 2014 at 11:09 am

4. Kristin

Lots of wild boar in Florida. We see evidence of them when we hike. Occasional spotting early morning.

February 26, 2014 at 7:23 am

• When you spot them, how big are they? (compared to a dog- German Shepherd size?)

February 26, 2014 at 11:29 am

Did you have any? How did it taste?

February 26, 2014 at 7:53 am

• I didn’t buy it (15.99 a pound) or taste it.
      Maybe someday and Ill report on it for the blog.
      Maybe….

February 26, 2014 at 11:11 am

6. Vincie

It’s so interesting to read these responses and discover that wild boar flourish and live all over the world. I’m surprised there isn’t a reality show about the people who hunt wild boar.

February 26, 2014 at 8:29 am

• Maybe you could pitch that idea to a station and they would jump on it! Seems about right for one of those shows.

February 26, 2014 at 11:12 am

7. Euthemia

Great story, great comments. I hear they are very dangerous so I ain’t goin’ wild boar huntin’ in upstate NY.

February 26, 2014 at 11:21 am

• Have you seen the Wild Boar salami for sale in your area? Would you taste it?
      Thanks for your comment today, E.

February 26, 2014 at 11:26 am

8. Amy

I didn’t know that Texas is full of the things… :)

February 26, 2014 at 12:23 pm

9. BOAR – Will have to try that some day…

February 26, 2014 at 5:39 pm

10. Let the boar roam free. No need for salami.

March 1, 2014 at 8:57 pm