Endangered NJ Diner from the Car Window

Last Thursday I was driving back home to Pittsburgh from New York City.  I was looking for coffee and exited from Interstate 78. Drove a few miles and couldn’t find any and ended up turning around on US Route 22.  I looked over my shoulder and saw the early morning sun hitting the shiny diner.  Did a little research and found a listing on a blog all about Endangered Diners in New Jersey.  If you have a dream of saving a diner, this might be the place for you.  Once you cut through the underbrush and greenery you’ll be able to decide.  Seriously, it is sad to see such ruin and decay.   Breakfast in a decent diner is my dream meal.  Well, one of them.  I like all things DINER.  You can see a close-up photo on the link above or here.

I love diners, too. We’ve eaten in many on this trip. Its sad to see them left for dead.

August 27, 2012 at 1:28 am

2. Diners and truck stops! But it’s important to patronize the diners so they do not disappear.

August 27, 2012 at 1:56 am

3. I’m with you, Ruth. When traveling, I’ll try to find a diner if I’m going to stop. Now that I’m traveling with dog and parrot, those stops are as endangered as that diner you photographed. Here at home, diners are becoming more scarce, as well. In the past 5 years, 3 diners in this area have closed or drastically changed their menu to more exotic cuisines. The new places are fine but certainly not a place to order a ‘breakfast special.” Soon, there’ll be nothing but chain restaurants to get 2 eggs sunny side up, hash browns, bacon, toast and a cup of coffee. It’s a shame.

August 27, 2012 at 2:16 am

Ever since I’ve retired, I go to breakfast once a month with my brother and 2 of his friends. I think we’re trying to go to every restaurant and diner in the area and what adventures we have! Some we go back to and some we don’t. My brother has a fit when he has to pay more than $3 for breakfast. There are actually quite a few good diners in both Louisville and Southern Indiana if any of you are ever down this way!

August 27, 2012 at 10:46 am

5. JB

Why don’t you buy a diner and revive it Ruth! You would be perfect for the job! I would come and work the early morning shift.

August 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

6. I adore diners as well. There is something very compelling about them to me…

September 2, 2012 at 6:53 pm