Fibonnaci Sequence and a Squirrel’s Delight

I saw this plant in my daughter-in-law’s garden last weekend.

The sunflower’s petals gone, the flower head heavy and bent over with the spiraling pattern of seeds- Fibonnaci numbers((0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, … etc, each number is the sum of the two numbers before it)  found in nature.  My mother was always talking about Fibonnaci.

A mathematical miracle AND a squirrel’s delight.

Not sure how much a squirrel would  need to store for the long winter but this one sunflower’s seeds looks like a good start.

Fibonnaci, I’ve never heard of that before. I must look it up on google. This one looks like the squirrel was there and gone.

October 3, 2012 at 7:29 am

2. Sunflowers are something, aren’t they? I’m surprised so much of this flower remains at this time of year. Grandpa grew some with mammoth blooms, making our yard a favorite dining spot fo squirrels and many birds.

October 3, 2012 at 8:28 am

3. Lovely pic and thoughts, Gilly I didn’t know squirrels ate sunflower seeds. Thanks for enlightening me. :)

October 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

I’ve never heard of Fibonnaci either but then I was never a math person. At least I understand this concept. Sunflowers are out here, too. No squirrels in my yard, though, because there’s no tall trees. Happy Fall Y’All!!

October 3, 2012 at 11:15 am

5. Coleen Rush

LOVE Fibonnaci. Learned this from a dear friend now passed away. She liked to paint a large canvas. She would start with a 1″ wide measurement for a color stripe that measured the length of the canvas, the next color strip was 2″ wide, then 3″, then 5″, then 8″ and on if size allowed. Thanks for the memory Ruth.

October 3, 2012 at 2:26 pm

6. Mathematics and nature – a perfect pairing!
    My sunflowers got covered with snow overnight. Snowflakes – more math!

October 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm

7. I have always been fascinated by Fibonaci numbers.. I learned about them in music theory:D

October 3, 2012 at 10:02 pm

8. Your mom sounds cool. :)

October 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm