777th POST and Local Man Discovers New Use for Plastic Newspaper Sleeve-

Okay first things first.  Cookie Table preparations are in full swing as you know. The pignoli/almond paste cookies are baked and are they ever tasty. There weren’t any real rejects so a fully formed cookie had to be eaten! And the Split Second cookies with Bonne Maman Apricot Preserves  and Schwartau Raspberry Jam inside.  I overbaked a batch of those last night so baked a do-over today!  The baking is complete. Three friends brought up cookies tonight.Another friend made her grandmother’s fudge. Pittsburghers bake their hearts out at wedding time!

and now for something completely different…………….

Scroll down for the photos of Local Man Discovering a New Use for the Plastic Newspaper SleeveIn addition to the usual canine clean up capture, my neighbor showed me a new use for the plastic sleeve that covers his newspaper. You know the slim bags, sometimes a color like green or pink or blue,  that thing that keeps your morning paper dry! Well, how about protecting your tie?

His demonstration of an alternate use for the plastic sleeve made me laugh out loud.  And if  you want to learn all about how he and his dog were featured testing the Thundershirt and were interviewed by local TV channel(seriously, if you are a dog owner you might need one of these if your dog is afraid of thunderstorms) The little video clip is here.

And being a great neighbor and friend he picked up Matthew from the MEGABUS this afternoon when I was still at school.  When I went to get Matthew, I interrupted a Ukelele impromptu lesson on the  12 fret blues or something close to that.

1. andy

I like the idea of the plastic bag as tie/ascot out of control. Have fun this week.

November 10, 2011 at 5:10 am

• Thanks Andy.

November 11, 2011 at 1:07 am

2. Marti B

The cookie thing is big in Pittsburgh because of a large Italian population?
    Cookie were in NYS where lived with my Italian friends.

November 10, 2011 at 6:53 am

• Thanks for the card Marti.

November 11, 2011 at 1:07 am

3. two more days! I can’t wait to see the cookies displayed. I Love the tie protector.

November 10, 2011 at 7:02 am

4. Tell your neighbour he looks very smart in his plastic tie-protector, unfortunately we don’t get them in the UK. Our Newspapers are pushed through the letterbox in our front door.

As an afterthought, has your neighbour thought about using a knife and fork, I find I can usually locate my mouth easier than just using my hands!!

:-0)

November 10, 2011 at 7:06 am

• Good one! Thanks for your fun comments. I’ll mention using the knife and fork!

November 11, 2011 at 1:06 am

I never did know what to do with the plastic sleeves. Maybe I’ll bring one to the wedding and sneak a few cookies. Just kidding.

November 10, 2011 at 7:31 am

6. Great post, so excited for you with the baking and wedding and having Matthew home.

November 10, 2011 at 8:20 am

7. Erica Wells

Really fun post!!!

November 10, 2011 at 9:45 am

8. I saw the title of this post and started chuckling even before I got to your blog. You can imagine my surprise then, when the first things I saw were your pignoli cookies. I do not even have a good Italian bakery around here to buy some. (The only good bakery near here closed during the Summer.) I need to find out who got Mom’s pignoli cookie recipe. As Lidia Bastianich is my witness, I shall never go pignoli cookie-less again!

November 10, 2011 at 10:31 am

• When you find your mother’s recipe, would you let me know if it has flour in it or not?
      I read so many recipes but wish I had one that was tried and true. These pignoli cookies are good but not as chewy as I thought. I am hoping they age well as we are serving Saturday. My son who came in from Croatia jumped out of the car and grabbed a fistful of the poorly named Fruit and Nut Biscotti to go with our purchased coffee on the way out to Ohio this morning. I said to take just a handful but he has big hands and I think there were close to a dozen!

November 11, 2011 at 1:05 am

• If I find it, Ruth, I’ll gladly send you the recipe. Fingers crossed!

November 11, 2011 at 1:38 am

9. JB

Ruth – send a few pignoli cookes to ChgoJohn. That tie protector made me laugh out loud in my little grey cubicle! Tell him to patent that before someone else gets the credit!

November 10, 2011 at 10:39 am

10. Love this! Love the cookie images too. Can’t wait to see the images of the whole cookie table. YUM!

November 10, 2011 at 11:20 am

11. Wasn’t the necktie originally a napkin? Or has it always been a device of torture? Very funny though.

November 10, 2011 at 12:34 pm

• So glad you thought it funny. It amused me. I seriously laughed out loud which is such a great feeling. Lots to be happy about this weekend. Wish you were here to critique the cookies.

November 11, 2011 at 12:58 am

12. thirdhandart

Congratulations on your 777th post! Those cookies look delicious. I love the tie protector… very creative recycling. Have fun this weekend!

November 10, 2011 at 2:38 pm

• Thanks for the good wishes. The excitement level is high. We are watching late night TV, my brother, sister and I, and munching on a few test biscotti and some dried Jazz apples David brought in from WA.

November 11, 2011 at 12:56 am

13. I have heard rumours about the cookie table at weddings! This is fabulous and I love that red napkin but the smile is priceless!

November 10, 2011 at 7:31 pm

• Cookie tables are big in Pittsburgh. We are bringing the tradition to Columbus OHIO this weekend, in a big way! Thanks for your nice comment today.

November 11, 2011 at 12:54 am

14. The split second cookies look great! Are you willing to share the recipe?

I, too, can attest to the genuine power of a Thundershirt for dogs. Our pup really benefitted from it.

November 11, 2011 at 1:51 pm

15. P.S. Congrats on lucky post #777! Cool. :)

November 11, 2011 at 1:52 pm