Fungi. There are so many different types. Yes, there are many that are edible. But there are others that are poisonous. The one in the photo did not tempt me. I can’t picture it on a plate. Perhaps you know what it is.
I couldn’t identify this growth even with all the photos-there are so many interesting names of Fungi – from Milky Caps to Hairy Cushion. There are corals,hoofs, shelfs and caps. There are fungi named Hedgehogs or Turkey Tail. Even a false morel.
The authors say in their guide “Although we provide information about edibility in this guide, DO NOT eat any mushroom unless you are absolutely certain of its identity: many mushroom species look alike and some species are highly poisonous.”
Here’s a comprehensive publication from the USDA with photos. Field Guide to Common Macrofungi in Eastern Forests and Their Ecosystem Functions
Michael E. Ostry Neil A. Anderson Joseph G. O’Brien
Thanks for the info, Ruth!
And I don’t really eat mushrooms anymore but i would never harvest my own if I did want some
And the ones you saw look like sea shells in a way
I agree on the sea shell comparison. They were big. I was thinking about them and I eat mushrooms from the produce department but they are strange phenomena to me- fungi
In France if you take them to a pharmacy they’ll tell you which ones are okay to eat. Either that or go a
out with an experienced forager.
NO NO NO. NO WAY. EVEN FROM A STORE. CAN’T EVEN PICK THEM OFF A PIZZA. DC
I’d let the experts decide.
I wouldn’t take any chances with them. My sweetheart hates the idea of eating all mushrooms, even the safe ones.
Pingback: You Have to be Certain of Edibility. You Can’t Guess – Urban Fishing Pole Lifestyle
That’s quite the gigantic mushroom. I absolutely love mushrooms, but would never dare to harvest any wild ones on my own.
From my cousin John
well it LOOKED like Boletus, no mistake, & smelled like Boletus. & small taste was sweet.
Yet although I got out my big mushroom book, I did not devote time to determining which species had sprounted on my moss lawn, which gets lots of water & occasional mowing. Too busy to do the research, get spore print & the rest. Boletus not poisonous, but some more palatable than others.
The tall, white deadly ones with gills, not pores, the Amanitas, used to turn at former house, but never here so far. We have had Mutinus elegans, which is an etymological treat.
This looks similar to fungi I just photographed in the Minnesota northwoods. Eventually I’ll get that image on my blog for comparison. I know nothing about mushrooms, except that I like them, the ones sold at my grocery store.
Those look huge! And I’m with you – the only mushrooms I’m eating are from the produce aisle of my local food merchants.