Fungi. There are so many different types. Yes, there are many that are edible. But there are others that are poisonous. The one in the photo did not tempt me. I can’t picture it on a plate. Perhaps you know what it is.
I couldn’t identify this growth even with all the photos-there are so many interesting names of Fungi – from Milky Caps to Hairy Cushion. There are corals,hoofs, shelfs and caps. There are fungi named Hedgehogs or Turkey Tail. Even a false morel.
The authors say in their guide “Although we provide information about edibility in this guide, DO NOT eat any mushroom unless you are absolutely certain of its identity: many mushroom species look alike and some species are highly poisonous.”