Button, Button, Whose Got the Button? ( & Bridal Veils, too!)

1700 Carson Street is the home of a great button store.  It fascinates me-  Parker Button. Boxes and boxes stacked from floor to ceiling.   All colors, shapes and sizes.  Like an artist’s palette.  Shank or flat. Frogs and belt buckles. Ribbon and trim. Spools of thread to sew them all on for utility or ornamentation. My mother had a glass jar full of buttons.  My sister made me the coolest necklace from vintage mother-of-pearl shirt buttons, strung onto embroidery floss. Do you have any clothing missing a button?

The other half of  the shop is Clarissa’s Boutique .   One word to describe the bridal veils, jewelry and accessories for custom headpieces and wedding necessities-  exquisite? lovely? classic? ethereal?  They will create a custom headpiece for you but allow three months.  Feathers, flowers, jewels, or pearls.       Voted the Best of the Knot for weddings 2011.

These Days Buttons are Often a Part of Web Design

Or people push our buttons.
Press the button to call the elevator
or select your floor.
Today’s post is the old fashioned kind.
Two-hole, four-hole or shank.
Metal, plastic, shell or bone.
Beatrix Potter shapes of rabbits.
When was the last time you sewed on a button?

Today marks 500 blog posts and counting!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Growing up we had a record with the song ( these lyrics are from 1929)

Button up your overcoat, When the wind is free, Oh, take good care of yourself, You belong to me! Eat an apple every day, Get to bed by three, Oh, take good care of yourself, You belong to me! Be careful crossing streets, ooh-ooh, Cut out sweets, ooh-ooh, Lay off meat, ooh-ooh, You'll get a pain and ruin your tum-tum!

1. Laura O.

I have a fascination with buttons as well. Looks like a great store.

February 10, 2011 at 1:41 am

2. Ellen

My grandma used to have a cigar box filled with old buttons. I remember spending hours playing with them – sorting them a thousand different ways, pretending they were characters in stories. My favorite was a peanut shape whose eyes moved along with his legs. I wonder what happened to that box…

February 10, 2011 at 4:57 am

3. Gail radley

You save all those little envelopes containing a spare button. Such a satisfied delight when you actually need one…and can locate it

February 10, 2011 at 6:54 am

4. Laura

I save all my extra buttons

February 10, 2011 at 7:18 am

5. Piraino

I love buttons also and have an old metal button box that was my grandmother’s but nothing like this store presents. Thanks for sharing. Loved the Valentine’s Day poem as well.

February 10, 2011 at 8:00 am

Reminds me of my mom’s button box. I loved the different colors.

February 10, 2011 at 8:11 am

7. erica

Oh how delightful, Ruth, photos and song! I can hear the “Voice” associated with ‘Button Up You Overcoat” but can’t bring up a name!!Actually after the male voice in my ear, a female came on … musical “channeling” :-) :-) still no names!

February 10, 2011 at 9:13 am

8. Marlene

I save all those little buttons you receive with new clothes in the little plastic bags. Of course Erika thinks it’s funny. I remember when I was little my mom had a really nice tin filled with buttons.

February 10, 2011 at 10:36 am

9. Marlene

I save all those little buttons you receive with new clothes in the little plastic bags. Of course Erika thinks it’s funny. I remember when I was little my mom had a colorful pretty cookie tin filled with buttons.

February 10, 2011 at 10:38 am

I remember my dad singing the button song and also the button up your overcoat song. I love all the colors and shapes of buttons. I remember my mother and I going to fabric stores when I was little picking out material for dresses and pretty buttons to go on them. Thanks for the memories!

February 10, 2011 at 11:20 am

11. Pingback: Tweets that mention Button, Button, Whose Got the Button? ( & Bridal Veils, too!) « Ruth E Hendricks Photography -- Topsy.com

12. Matty

So did you end up buying any buttons?

Congrats on your 500th post!

February 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

13. Mary Lynn

I used to play with the buttons in the top drawer of my grandma’s treadle sewing machine. I now have the buttons and the sewing machine. I also have buttons from my mum,my mother-in-law, and my friend’s grandmother.I love old buttons.

March 9, 2011 at 7:32 am

14. Pingback: Laura and I Went to the Annex Cookery and Tin Front Café- Homestead, PA « Ruth E Hendricks Photography