Francine’s High School For Sale

Schenley High School

on the National Register of Historic Places.  It was Andy Warhol’s high school
(And fellow blogger Francine’s high school, too! Here is her bloglink)

It’s been closed a few years now.

Well, the yellow sign says RELOCATED but that was temporary.

It’s gone now.

When I drive by this building it feels sad.  When I drove by today it was raining and I saw the For Sale sign out front.  If you want to see a magnificent aerial view of the building and where to send your bid to buy it, click here

I went to high school in Morristown, NJ so it isn’t my Alma Mater, but the empty building evokes a sense of loss.

There’s whole list of notable alumni but here’s a link to a photo of Andy Warhol’s homeroom class 1944-1945

1. A very sad day. I am an alumni of Schenley High School, class of 1966. My eldest granddaughter was in the last class of 2011 to graduate under the name, even though they had been relocated to another building. The alumni and civic groups and concerned people did everything they could to keep this historic building open. It is a shame! It is a shame! It is a shame. I’m feeling the lost all over again. Thanks for sharing Ruth.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

October 18, 2012 at 11:50 pm

2. How much do they want for it

October 19, 2012 at 6:22 am

• You have to put in a bid

October 19, 2012 at 6:27 am

3. Gail Radley

So sad to see an empty school, schools are meant to be filled with dreams, laughter, hope, and promise – not silence.

October 19, 2012 at 6:40 am

4. Reblogged this on Francine In Retirement and commented:
    Blogger friend Ruth has reported a sad day in history for many people in Pittsburgh.

October 19, 2012 at 6:45 am

My dad went there for a year and I spent a summer there for summer school as did my brother. Kinda sad.

October 19, 2012 at 7:11 am

6. It’s always a shame to see a great school close. They play such a big part in our lives and it’s comforting, in a way, to know that our particular school is still there, “ruining” kids’ lives (at least from the kids’ perspectives). :)

October 19, 2012 at 7:48 am

7. Vincie

Once again, I laughed out loud at Chicago John’s comment. And I have to admit that I’m glad my high school is still there “ruining kid’s lives!”

October 19, 2012 at 8:10 am

8. This photo looks sad. The building looks alone, forgotten – like an old grandma that people are too busy to visit. Sad. :(

October 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm

9. That’s really sad, Ruth. :(

October 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm

10. Wow. Yes, I agree that empty buildings make me sad – especiallly ones that were full of children. How crazy to think of a for sale sign stuck in front of a school!

October 23, 2012 at 11:41 am