Not Quite Gilligan’s Island and The Ruins of Something Along Route 28

It was late when I left for home cause I went to photograph the girl’s softball game and

because the Bigelow Blvd. ramp was closed, I had to follow a lengthy detour.

I found myself in bumper to bumper traffic at a standstill on one of the most awful roads- Route 28.         It is ALWAYS under construction.

And there I saw this abandoned boat along the  busy highway.

It took  my mind of my impatience at not being home yet, having to wait.

I wondered how it got there.  To whom did it belong?

It’s like being in a coffee shop and suddenly understanding why someone writing a screenplay is sitting there, working.  A snippet of conversation overheard. You write a script.  You get ideas.

I heard the guy say to the woman at the next table, “You have a certain lyrical unexpectedness.”  (inaudible response from her) Him again, ” I played in a bar last night.”

So what’s the story of the boat?  And the next scene just a few feet later, a few more car lengths down?

abandoned boat

or the next scene when the traffic stopped again.  These scenes  just make you wonder.

Or if I hadn’t been stopped, would I have seen them?

Architectural Ruins

1. wow; they both have a melancholy mood; yes, i’d love to know more, to see images of how that building looked twenty years ago.

May 8, 2013 at 1:44 am

2. You rarely see boats abandoned. Don’t they usually sink before they get so bad that one would abandon it? 2 thought-provoking photos, Ruth. I know I would never have seen them if I were driving and there was no traffic tie-up.

May 8, 2013 at 2:35 am

3. i love to overhear snippets of conversation, amd like your abandoned boat they always leave more questions than answers

May 8, 2013 at 2:57 am

4. Traffic is brutal in Toronto; they always manage to do construction on similar directions virtually shutting the city down in areas! I started riding my bike because a 10 minute drive took 60 on Monday! You see a lot more when you’re on a bike and you get free exercise (and the 8km ride is never more that 25 minutes!)

May 8, 2013 at 6:18 am

What a great analogy!

May 8, 2013 at 7:13 am

6. Great shots! Glad you had some interesting roadside scenery to focus on during the slow traffic. :)

May 8, 2013 at 7:13 am

7. I also want to have a “lyrical unexpectedness.” :D
    Love your discoveries, Ruth. Great shots of things that have definitely see better days.

May 8, 2013 at 2:17 pm

8. One of the primary reasons I write is to release all of those little conversations and ideas that seem to crop up from nowhere inside my brain. I fear (suspect) that if I didn’t let them get out, I would go insane. (Literally.) Small discoveries are worth the angst it sometimes takes to find them, non?

May 10, 2013 at 8:32 am