Steel Mill at Night on the Monongahela River

Some things draw you in.  I returned to West Mifflin to see if I could get the mill in sharper focus.  The atmosphere affects the smoke coming out of the smokestacks. I got out of the car this time.  Once the trees are in full leaf it will be harder to get the entire scene.

1. Dorothy

This is fascinating–so much to see.
    Yes, much clearer than the other one
    but I wrote a poem about the other one because…..
    (I’ll tell you sometime)
    Now, we need one in daylight for comparison.

April 14, 2010 at 8:25 am

2. Laura

looks like Willy Wonka

April 14, 2010 at 8:35 am

3. Joyce

Thanks again for bringing back memories.

April 14, 2010 at 8:46 am

i’m narrating a book for the library called the Point of Pittsburgh and this is the vision i get when reading about the steel mills and other industries that formed Pittsburgh

April 14, 2010 at 11:08 am

5. Marlene

I use to love standing on my back porch and look down at the mill at night. Also in the summer I loved hearing the sounds of Kennywood.

April 14, 2010 at 2:47 pm

6. Linda E

This looks like an archive photo. My thoughts were: maybe the mill we be no more soon and that shot is a one that we could show our great grandchildren when we explain about the mills, unions, sweat, and tears that were a big part of Western PA. Thanks.

April 14, 2010 at 8:33 pm

7. Toni

Beautiful picture!
    When I taught at Burgwin School – I used to drive down Hazelwood Avenue to Second Avenue some mornings. I stopped at a bakery on Second Avenue to bring goodies for school – that’s when a bakery was still there! I would see the mills all fired up, and things felt so alive and productive. It was always a sight to see!!! Of course – that was a morning view. Night view is gorgeous!

April 17, 2010 at 6:57 am

8. Pingback: Outlook Drive View of Last Working Steel Mill- 12-4-11 « Ruth E Hendricks Photography

9. Paul Meese

The night shot is soooo dramatic, compared to the day photo. Both remind me of “old Pittsburgh” which is a good thing.

December 15, 2011 at 1:57 pm

10. Pingback: The Mill on a Winter Night 2012 « Ruth E Hendricks Photography

11. Pingback: Outlook Drive View of the Mill on the Monongahela River | Ruth E Hendricks Photography