Make Way for the Wild Turkeylings

#1 Rule for Photographers.   ALWAYS carry a decent camera.  Even if not your best one, a GOOD one.

#2 Rule for Photographers  Refer to Rule #1.           ALWAYS  You might miss that shot.

But there I was off to the first day of school, wondering how I would get two art rooms ready for Monday’s students and Matthew was coming with me to lift and haul and help set up.  JB came later and knew what to do to prepare.

And what did we see on the the way to school? A Wild Turkey family (gaggle, flock, covey???)  And did I have a decent camera with me?  No.  I broke the rules.

Had to photograph the mother turkey and her 5 chicks(?)/children with the trusty iPhone.  I kicked myself all the way to school afterwards.  You just can’t predict what will be in your path..  Moving right along up the sidewalk. Turn the corner down the alley.

A fun sighting.  Wish I had the old 70-200 mm lens, too. They are some strange looking creatures.

1. That is really weird. There must be a wooded area near the location?

August 17, 2011 at 7:11 am

2. on their way to school

August 17, 2011 at 7:19 am

3. Beth

I love the one with them walking down the alleys as if taking a stroll.

August 17, 2011 at 7:45 am

Oh my gosh! That is excellent. I am so glad you had your camera.

August 17, 2011 at 8:03 am

5. Shuey

So, what’s wrong with iPhone pics?
    The first pic, ‘bumper to bumper’ turkeys wouldn’t be better with another lens. The longer shot, ‘on their way to school’ (goofyrunner) maybe would benefit from the longer lens, then again . . .
    Thanks for sharing the excitement Ruth!

Shuey

August 17, 2011 at 8:55 am

6. Julia

not bad for the iphone!

August 17, 2011 at 9:11 am

7. Excellent moment in time! I love rule #1. Ha ha.

I grew up in the country, so Turkeys never fazed me… until I started seeing them in the city. They’re all over the place, and it’s WEIRD.

August 17, 2011 at 10:07 am

8. W. Keith McManus

You did all right, Ruth.

August 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

My grandmother always said that turkeys were the dumbest creatures on Earth! I mean look at the tiny heads!! There is a group of wild turkeys near me and in the Fall, they are seen crossing the road, maybe 20 to 25 of them at once and they take their time!

August 17, 2011 at 12:07 pm

10. Super cool surprise! Turkeys! Love it!

August 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm

11. thirdhandart

At least you had your iPhone. I know what you mean though. I was sitting in a parking lot the other day waiting on my husband and I missed at least two photo ops because I didn’t have a camera with me.
    I hope you got your classrooms ready in time. Many of the Kansas City area schools are starting this week.

August 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm

12. Cj

LOL … on the way to school, that’s classic. ipod, cellphone, doesn’t matter with you Ruth it is always a great shot.

August 19, 2011 at 8:20 am

13. Funny – my iPhone *is* my “good” camera. ;)

It’s fun to read that I’m not the only one who has run-ins with turkeys (http://smilekiddo.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/turkeys/)

August 19, 2011 at 9:51 pm

14. City Birds

August 20, 2011 at 12:29 pm

15. Pingback: What I Saw Out the Window at School « Ruth E Hendricks Photography