Watching Her Sisters Make Their Mother’s Nut Roll Via SKYPE

Yes, that is a bowl of melted butter used to brush on the dough

Marlene was in Virginia. Her sisters- Linda, Theresa and Georgeann were in Pittsburgh.  I dropped by with the camera to document the occasion and made a slideshow of the beginning to end effort.  I think there were fifteen long metal pans waiting for dough.  They were rolling and filling and letting the dough rise to bake.  Southwestern PA is known for perpetuating nut roll tradition.  Not to be confused with nut horns or nut crescents.

The Pans Waiting for the Yeasty Dough

1. What a neat post, Ruth!! Modern technology at its best — I really love what you did here! I bet those nut rolls never tasted so good. :)

January 22, 2012 at 12:48 am

2. i love these photos! and the one of the egg before this. thank you for sharing!

January 22, 2012 at 7:56 am

3. Way back in Olden Times, I was one of 2 freshman in my high school selected to take a computer course the first year that computers came to my college prep school. I’ve been involved with them, professionally and as a “hobby”, ever since. All along I’ve said, and still do, that we are only on the threshold of the computer revolution and that changes will come that we can’t possible foresee. Your first photo proves my point better than any I’ve seen, or example I’ve heard, in quite some time. Whodathunk?

January 22, 2012 at 8:36 am

• We didn’t have any computers in my high school that I was aware of but when I went to college there was a computer that took up an entire basement of a building and you could see the computer through a glass window. A dinosaur for sure.
      I appreciate your sharing your memory and your praise is always wonderful to receive, John, thank you. I might have to stick a pin in my head if I start swelling up with pride in response to your good words.

January 22, 2012 at 9:40 pm

4. and she won’t have to help clean up!

January 22, 2012 at 8:59 am

5. connie

I’ve learned something this A.M. I do not know nut roll pans existed!! But, I’ve eaten my share of kolachi at Easter and they were all baked on cookie sheets. :-))

January 22, 2012 at 9:01 am

My mom and grandmother used to have pans like that. And they baked together as I watched. You brought back fond memories. It guess that’s what pictures are for.

January 22, 2012 at 9:11 am

7. I always love those old recipe cards!

January 22, 2012 at 11:19 am

• I love those handwritten recipe cards too and started that Throwback Recipe blog (http://throwbackrecipes.wordpress.com ) which didn’t last long. No one sent their photos of their family cards so I couldn’t see keeping it going. Guess I didn’t figure how to sustain it.

January 22, 2012 at 11:35 am

8. so wonderful busy!

January 22, 2012 at 4:46 pm

9. Love this!

January 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm

• Thanks Peach Farm. I especially enjoy your messages from the typewriter, too.

January 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm

10. Erica Wells

amazing1 both t he technology and the food! XOXOOX

January 22, 2012 at 10:39 pm

11. thirdhandart

Love the pairing of modern technology with home made baked goods. I’m not very good at baking things that require yeast and time to rise. But, I just might have to try making these nut rolls. They sound delicious.

January 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm

12. Technology! Love the recipe!

January 23, 2012 at 10:16 am

13. The contrast between hand-written index cards and Skype is pretty cool. Both have a place in life. :)

January 27, 2012 at 9:13 am