Cupcake Tree and 1-2-3-4 Cake Recipe

My friend Joanne in Omaha shipped a box of cupcake items to Columbus so I could create a 4th of July/Birthday Cupcake Display Tree  and marthastewart.com directions/photo of flag cupcake.

Cupcakes are all the rage around the city these days.  You can bake them at home but not today in the heatwave.

1-2-3-4 Cake Recipe from Swans Down Cake Flour Box and Grandmothers who came before- Anna used Red White & Blue Sprinkles and red licorice lace Joanne sent.

1 cup butter+  2 cups sugar + 3 cups cake flour + 4 eggs +1 cup milk   3 t baking powder and 1/2 t salt and 1 t vanilla    I used  buttermilk so added a tsp of baking soda (made 36 cupcakes- 1/4 C batter per)

Basic Buttercream Icing- 1 C butter+ 4 C 10X sugar + vanilla +2 T milk

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

1. Sue reinfeld

From start to finish I love the pictures and the patriotism.

July 9, 2010 at 6:19 am

2. Laura

very nice. are anna’s cupcakes on the paper plates?
    She loves decorating cakes

July 9, 2010 at 7:23 am

3. erica

Oh my heavens Swan’s Down Cake Flour and 1 -2- 3- 4 Cake. “Take me home, suburban roads!” :-) I believe that I have a piece of the box with that recipe on it in an old collection of my Mom’s favorites ….that her grandchildren are asking for!!!
    If you resend snow photos, Ruth, please include the Highland Park duo, real Park and painted mural of park on Bryant!!!
    Wish I could have one of your cupcakes right now for breakfast!!!
    xoxo

July 9, 2010 at 9:26 am

4. Toni

The slide show is terrific – the cupcakes look wonderful — so festive!! Yum!!! Fun stuff!!!

Like Erica, I remember my mom making that same cake! She made it a two layer cake and tinted one of the layers pink (the other stayed plain), and then frosted it with a pink icing. We called it “the pink cake” — of course! It was -and still is -a family favorite!!!

July 9, 2010 at 9:58 am

5. Aida

Love your cupcake tree…Zanne has been making the cutest cupcakes for all occasions ever since the girls were born. This year Lucy (2) had Ladybug cupcakes and Ava (4) had Alligator cupcakes and a whole Alligator made out of cupcakes put close together. So adorable and the kids loved them…..and the cupcakes are easy to eat for the little ones! xoxox

July 9, 2010 at 10:21 am

6. Erin

Ruth,

Laura AND Anna can start that cupcake business….who would be the boss????

July 9, 2010 at 3:00 pm

7. Marie

What a wonderful ‘show’! It leaves me wondering though. How is it that your little ones can master cupcakes, and I still stuggle with a Betty Crocker cake mix??

July 9, 2010 at 10:37 pm