I Used to Live on a Tree Lined Street

Lucille tells me farmer wisdom says “You have to have a really good reason to cut down a tree.” More than 100 years old and felled in less than two hours.  I thought about avoiding the stump, the empty space.  But I felt it important to pay my respects. The “Gentle Giant” has retired all right.  (click to see the tree before the removal) Chopped up in the chipper in no time flat.  A sad day for Heberton Street.  A loss of shade, beauty and grace.  A life. Another living thing, come to the end of its life. With help from the tree men, the city and the diagnosis of canker.  Beth reminds me that we all become soil or dust.  It is part of the cycle of life.  Here was my reminder today.

Change

My friend T says the only guarantee is change.
And lots of it.
Takes time to familiarize oneself
to the constant in our lives.
Change.
Maybe as I get older
it’s harder to accept?
Or I notice an increase in the amount.
Steve knows about planetary motion.
Explained how fast we are traveling
each second
as earth rotates and orbits around the sun.

Ouch. Just makes me sad.

1. So sorry for the loss. I too, hate to see big trees go away. We lost one of the sycamores near our house to Katrina, but the two that I stare at from my bedroom window are still around and I hope they will be for a while.

You did get some pretty photos of the stump . . .

April 15, 2011 at 12:54 am

2. A sad day

April 15, 2011 at 7:07 am

3. Hootie

That is depressing! The stump with it rings is beautiful-there contains its life’s story.

April 15, 2011 at 7:14 am

4. Laura

it looks huge

April 15, 2011 at 7:45 am

5. connie

Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road
    ” Why are there trees I never walk under, but large and melodious thoughts descend upon me?”

Susan Fenimore Cooper
    “Of the infinite variety of fruits which spring from the bosom of the earth, the trees of the wood are the greatest in dignity.”

April 15, 2011 at 8:01 am

6. Joanne

Did you get to hug that tree before it retired?

April 15, 2011 at 10:58 am

I wonder if the guys who cut down old trees feel the same way vets do when they have to put an old animal to sleep. Do they get immune to it after awhile?

April 15, 2011 at 11:12 am

8. Awesome Guy

Great Story! It seems that we are all to ready to remove trees! Stump Grinding Brisbane

April 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm

9. Pingback: 100 Year Old Tree Stump Chewed to Mulch « Ruth E Hendricks Photography