Slow Shutter and the Pink Sock Monkeys

When Anna was a baby I made her a sock monkey out of a pair of Rockford Red Heel Socks, just as I had done for her father when he was little.  The sock monkey didn’t get much playtime and I didn’t make anymore for the other three grandchildren. At Christmas I noticed Anna using the sock monkey like a puppet with the other kids at breakfast. Everyone was laughing and she was enjoying playing with her(it is a girl and her name is Mrs. Sock Monkey)  She asked me if I could make her a pink sock monkey.  I said I didn’t know how I could because I didn’t know at the time you could buy PINK red heel socks.

Last weekend when I visited, the old sock monkey had not only a bed made from a Costco box, covered in  blanket but there was a small basket added as a bunk with a junior sized sock monkey wrapped up in a hand knitted dishrag  (the sock monkey was one of Murphy the Airedale’s former toys!- every dog needs a sock monkey).

And to Anna and Maura’s surprise, I showed up with two pairs of PINK red heel socks I found online.  Laura brought over her portable sewing machine and I sat at the kitchen table stitching up the legs and arms.  Anna helped stuff the limbs.  The girls were really excited to watch the socks turn into monkeys. I embroidered the eyes and nostrils with some variegated cotton yarn I had as a knitting project.

The next morning as they were waiting to go to church, I had them open the front door to get some available light for a photo of them with their monkeys. Strawberry and Blueberry are their names. Blueberry has blue eyes like Maura and that’s how they can tell them apart.  I used a 1/5 shutter speed -handheld -which is really not a good idea.  Too much camera shake.

The snow in the night added some reflected light but the winter morning was fairly gray.  Murphy decided to come and see what was happening outside and Anna thought he would make a good horse for the monkeys. Murphy didn’t even mind.   He remained undisturbed even though Maura was squealing excitedly.  Then Anna wrote sock monkey on the condensation inside the storm door glass.   I love that all the fancy toys are ignored and the homemade bed out of box and a couple of pairs of socks, transformed into monkeys, delighted the girls.   I told Anna how Aunt Mary and I went to the Sock Monkey Museum in Rockford, Illinois.

Murphy isn't even paying attention to a couple of riders!

Maura watches Anna make the sock monkey wave!

I remember writing on windows. The condensation invites it!

1. So sweet!

January 24, 2012 at 12:44 am

2. Though I love the three of them, Ruth, I can’t help but stare at the final photo. Who among us hasn’t “decorated” a window like that? It’s both a photo and a reminder of our own past — well, except for the pink sock monkeys, of course. Those are truly special.

January 24, 2012 at 6:03 am

Cute monkeys. Did they end up going to church with the girls?

January 24, 2012 at 7:26 am

4. Marlene

I will have to look in the box of Erika’s things I saved. She has an old sock money that her great grandmother made her. I will give it to the girls when we visit next month.

January 24, 2012 at 11:42 am

5. thirdhandart

The pink sock monkeys are just too cute. And, the candid capture of little ones having fun is so cheerful… especially on a gray winter’s day. Great post!

January 24, 2012 at 1:10 pm

6. The monkeys and kids are cute, but there’s Murphy again! I love it.

January 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm

7. I love sock monkeys

January 24, 2012 at 2:34 pm

8. LOVE the thumb in her mouth and hugging the dog. Oh, my gosh, that’s cute!

January 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm

9. As an adult, I appreciate even more the treasure that homemade gifts are. Homemade clothes, toys, treats, meals…. I love them all!

January 27, 2012 at 9:02 am

10. I love puppets. I was the lead in the Pied Piper puppet show in 4th grade. We made our puppets heads from paper mache. Unfortunately it was my first and last theater performance. Naturally as an Italian, Pinocchio is my favorite puppet as is the story. Opera for the child. Thanks visit my blog.

February 5, 2012 at 5:50 am

11. Adorable, – what lovely photos with that snug family feel.

Great dog!