Thinking About Pie on National Pie Day

I emailed my friend Rob to see if he had any updates for National Pie Day this year.  He is the only pie judge I know. Official, that is.

Just a year ago he was guest blogger with the National Pie Day post.  When I went to retrieve the post and his photos with Willard Scott and Keegan Gerhard, I remembered how a fellow blogger helped me out that day.  No visible pictures had posted when I published the guest blog, just blue boxes with question marks.  I saw them on my computer but no one else could see them on theirs!

Thanks to the expertise of Chicago John from the Bartolini Kitchens Blog we were able to see Rob’s photos last year.

And although I knew it was National Pie Day today, you see what I came up with this year?

The idea of pie.  The possibility of pie.  Contemplating the making of pie.

What’s available in the larder?

A lone can of pumpkin?

A few apples for school lunch?

Tons of citrus, some grapes.  There are raisins in the fridge but raisin pie has zero appeal to me.

So here’s my offering, Rob.

A pretty pie plate in the afternoon sun and the mere suggestion of a pie to be created. Great for the calorie count, if one were so inclined.

Pretty Pie Plate in Afternoon Sun

1. Oh, so close, Ruth. So very close. :)

January 23, 2013 at 3:37 am

2. Rob

Thanks Ruth for remembering National Pie Day. I am “dreaming” of a delicious, lattice top, tart cherry pie with a golden flaky crust. My search is on today. Thanks.

January 23, 2013 at 4:33 am

It’s a start.

January 23, 2013 at 7:12 am

4. I love that china pattern, we inherited a couple of wonderful pieces from my MIL. Good luck with that virtual pie!

January 23, 2013 at 7:48 am

5. connie

Recently I had someone ask- I wonder how many people still own a wooden rolling pin, sifter, etc.?
    With the pre made pie sheets in the frozen foods section – the rolling pins may be gathering dust in the bottom of a cupboard.
    I was happy to use my sifter on a regular basis this past year. Perhaps I’ll find the time today.

January 23, 2013 at 8:16 am

6. Pie is one of my very favorite foods- all kinds! If its in a crust I love it- please show the finished pie- YUM!

January 23, 2013 at 8:39 am

7. Pingback: 23/365: National Pie Day « Eat My Words

8. Or you could have put all of the fruits together and made a pumpkin-apple-grape-raisin pie! ;)

January 24, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I have 2 favorite kinds of pie – pumpkin pie and chocolate pie!

January 25, 2013 at 4:28 pm

10. Well, if this post did nothing else for me today, it at least made me aware that I’d missed National Pie Day. And it made me want a piece of pie. Did I mention how susceptible I am to the power of suggestion?? :lol: I enjoyed reading your post today.

January 27, 2013 at 7:50 pm