Tree in Snow, Tree in Sun

Another in my winter tree series.  Actually I drove through the park today and the snow is gone.  See the tree below.

I wanted to post the trees in silhouette, though and the sinking sun behind the trunk.

It ‘s the warmth of the sun on the snow that appeals to me.

My drives through the park after school on my way home have help me appreciate the beauty of the winter.

Sunset Tree in Snow

A different tree but this is the angle of the sun at the time I was driving into the entrance of Highland Park.

Today on the way home, the car thermometer read 63 degrees.  Here’s what my trip into the park yielded Monday afternoon.  Find the car to check the scale of the tree. Because of the mottled peeled bark, I believe it’s a giant sycamore. Long shadows and blue sky with pretty clouds made it feel like April.

tree in sunlight

1. It looks like a sycamore to me too. Magnificent trees. A beauty of a picture !

February 11, 2013 at 9:54 pm

• Thanks for your good words today.

February 11, 2013 at 9:55 pm

2. Beautiful pair, Ruth, especially the first. It may be a pain to deal with and create a mess for us but snow sure does offer the chance for some great photos, if we only look. You, Ruth, always look. :)

February 12, 2013 at 12:36 am

3. they’re both beautiful! the reflections and warm tints on the snow are really nice,and those shadows in the second one are as important as the tree!

February 12, 2013 at 2:03 am

And soon the trees will have leaves. Hooray!

February 12, 2013 at 6:52 am

5. Vincie

I should get a copy of the first photo so that I, too, can learn to appreciate the beauty of winter.

February 12, 2013 at 9:30 am

6. The winter warmth comes through so beautifully, from the setting sun in the first to the long shadow in the second!

February 12, 2013 at 4:08 pm

• Thanks Patti. That long shadow was something. I appreciate your good words.

February 12, 2013 at 8:23 pm

7. Your first photo is magnificent, Ruth, with the late afternoon sun causing the snow to glow like that.The second pic certainly has an air of spring about it. The sycamore is really tall, and even though they’re fast growing trees, it must have taken about 50 years for it to have grown so high. Love those long shadows.

February 12, 2013 at 10:07 pm

• Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice comment today! :-)

February 13, 2013 at 7:56 am

8. Oooh, I love the big, long tree shadow in pic #2.

February 12, 2013 at 10:26 pm