Custom Framing for 30 Years and He’s Not Even 50 Yet!

That’s what he told me. And he’s been in business for 25 years! I went over to Panza Gallery in Millvale and owner/artist Mark Panza was busy busy busy. He really didn’t need me there Thursday afternoon but he was gracious. Kept on working. I broke his concentration at first by showing up and wanting to shoot him for the People at Work Series, even though we had talked about it on the phone, when it is actually happening it might not be so convenient.

Let me tell you I have a new understanding of why custom frames are not inexpensive. Lots of steps and precision, measure, measure, measure. Concentration, strength, math, craftsmanship. Thanks Mark for allowing me to capture you working. And remember he’s open Wed-Friday 10-5 and Sat 10-3.

That is a pneumatic stapler and you can hear the compressor gear up!

1. Laura

great work

July 9, 2011 at 7:06 am

2. Kristin

I have spent a fortune on custom framing…it can make or break your piece. Great photos of a craftsman.

July 9, 2011 at 7:46 am

Just think how many pieces of art he has brought to life.

July 9, 2011 at 9:14 am

4. Great pictures! I did custom framing for a few years when we lived out west, Kristin’s right it really does make a difference.

July 9, 2011 at 9:15 am

5. Good light, good colours, good arms. ;)

Beautiful pictures Ruth.

July 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm

6. erica

Love this “new” Series People at work … exp. when so many people wish they were right now.
    1How fortunate to have a craft / trade / TALENT which is needed and respected no matter what’s going on …and getting a picture / photo framed makes you feel good!!!

July 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm

7. What is the “People at Work Series”? Is it a running article in your local newspaper or magazine? Is it a book you are in the midst of developing? It looks cool!

July 9, 2011 at 7:55 pm

8. Jen

These pics are great Ruth! I love my dadio + he’s a good boss I love learning from the best ;o)

September 22, 2011 at 9:52 pm

9. Pingback: Sneak Peek at the Black and Whites and a Thank You to All « Ruth E Hendricks Photography