Big Dog Coffee Shop Reflected in Their Nuova Simonelli Machine

It is a stunning and shining beauty of an Espresso machine, the Nuova Simonelli. And as I stood waiting for my coffee, I noticed the reflection of the chairs and wall. I read that they are getting ready to put up some new art so I caught it on a plain green wall day.

I love that Big Dog Coffee Shop opens at 6 AM. They make authentic conversation with you and never seemed annoyed or put out like a coffee shop I used to go to every morning(and the other place doesn’t open ’til 7AM) .  I feel welcomed, appreciated. It’s friendly but not fake.  And their coffee is delicious, too.  They are on the flats of the South Side and I teach on the slopes.  Just right.

Once our book club met in the back room.  It’s a welcoming space.  Pretty soon they will start using the fireplace, too.  I like the oatmeal bar for a splurge some days.  Big Dog Coffee is more than just the jolt of morning caffeine.  It is a joyful start to the day!

1. sometimes it is easier to stop for coffee

November 2, 2011 at 7:11 am

2. You and that eye of yours, Ruth. I wonder how many others have walked by that machine without so much as giving it a glance. You, on the other hand, see art and produce this remarkable photo. Finding a good neighborhood coffeeshop has always been a “must do” when I’ve moved to a new home. You certainly have found one.

November 2, 2011 at 8:35 am

3. Erica Wells

how nice to have a stop like this on the way to work, EARLY in the morning!!

November 2, 2011 at 8:42 am

4. Great picture! I love the coffee shop even though I’ve never been there – have seen it through your eyes!

November 2, 2011 at 9:23 am

5. Pretty photo.. a series of reflection photos would be interesting, eh? I (and a few friends) have realized recently that we are somewhat “off” a certain coffee company… my new fav is Waves (in Canada only I think?). What book is your club reading these days?

November 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

• No Waves for us in Pittsburgh We are reading autobiography My Home is far Away By Dawn Powell

Sent from my iPhone

November 2, 2011 at 9:59 am

6. thirdhandart

Love the almost fisheye reflection! Great photo!

November 2, 2011 at 10:01 am

7. Toni

Back from The Netherlands, where the coffee is great! Lots of cozy coffee shops there – just don’t go into the wrong ones! Every cup of coffee or tea comes with a complimentary cookie or candy. I like that!

November 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

8. Love Big Dog they are a great shop for the South Side. They also have an oatmeal bar. Great photo!

November 2, 2011 at 10:36 am

9. I want that chair. Katherine would probably banish it to the office.

November 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm

10. Your picture is wonderful – an image that not everyone would notice, but one that, once they did, they would appreciate. :)

Friendly but not fake is wonderful, too. I loved reading how this place makes you joyful!

November 3, 2011 at 1:57 pm

• Thanks Stef. The next day they out up some big pieces (art?) on the plain green wall. I felt lucky it wasn’t there the day before!

November 3, 2011 at 11:01 pm

11. Amazing shot Ruth. Very David Lynch Twin Peeks-esque.

November 4, 2011 at 6:55 am