DJ’s Butcher Block in Bloomfield

Since we’re talking about meat…..

on the way home from school I stopped at DJ’s Butcher Block (Butcher Shop) on Penn Avenue.

What a selection of-

antibiotic free, local, grass fed, custom cut and ground meat.

There is also Amish Butter and Organic Cheese, one item I bought today was from Mercer County.

Local farms provide fresh eggs and rich milk that separates in a glass  1/2 gallon bottle   (to be returned)

DJ the proprietor is a also a chef,  trained at the Culinary Institute of America (I read in this Pgh CityPaper Article)butcher dj

Butcher Block and CleaverSteak thickness

He knows what he is doing

Bacon Soap

for the vegetarian?    A couple of vegetarians were in front of me buying sausage today.

Someone else was picking up a custom order of braciole.

IMG_3209

You can get a Savory Meat Pie to take home and bake.

pound of ground steak

I bought a pound of the grass fed ground beef and made burgers which were delicious, fried up in a cast iron skillet.

During Little Italy Days I had photographed DJ at night.  Thanks for allowing me to tour your butcher shop and photograph you again.

dj- butcher-block for blog

1. Great post featuring one of our small business’.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

February 26, 2014 at 10:52 pm

• Thanks Francine. I forgot to say he had some local pasta and Italian bread to sell as well.
      Thanks for your visit and comment today, :-)

February 26, 2014 at 10:55 pm

2. Vincie

I’m going to have to make a trip to Bloomfield!

February 27, 2014 at 12:04 am

3. Beth Piraino

Nice local color.

February 27, 2014 at 6:48 am

No sawdust on the floor? Growing up all the butcher shops I visited had sawdust on the floor.

February 27, 2014 at 7:29 am

5. Euthemia

That cleaver is something else! Whew, don’t let him get angry at you.

February 27, 2014 at 11:16 am

6. Amy

Wow, grass fed ground beef from the local shop!

February 27, 2014 at 12:20 pm

7. Especially like the 1st photo!
    Bacon scented soap? I heart bacon. Not sure I’d wanna’ smell like it though.

February 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm

8. I bet he does have cheeks! How lucky that this guy decided to open a butcher shop. There aren’t many around these days. I’ve got one around the corner but I fear they’ll be closing in a few years. The owner and helper — or is it 2 owners? — are getting on in years and there’s no apprentice to replace them. It’s a shame.

March 1, 2014 at 1:06 am

9. Vegetarians were buying sausage? Then I hate to break it to them, but they are not vegetarians. (By definition.)

March 1, 2014 at 8:58 pm